Be Aware of COVID-19 Scams and Fraud
Mid Penn Bank would like to warn our customers regarding an increase in scams and fraud related to the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). These scams may come in a variety of forms including phishing emails with malicious links or attachments. Scammers are also using phone calls, social media, and text messaging to trick victims into revealing sensitive information. Please always exercise your due diligence when opening any email related to COVID-19 and be wary of social media ads, texts or calls.
Here’s an example of the type of text messaging that is currently circulating:
We would NEVER send a message or request like the above. Here are a few reminders to help you protect yourself and your information:
• Mid Penn Bank will never contact you and ask for complete card numbers, account numbers or personal information, whether by text, email, or telephone call.
• COVID-19 will not change the operation of our electronic banking products. In fact, we encourage the use of these apps and services to help minimize the need to visit our branches for routine transactions.
• If you receive a call from someone claiming to be from Mid Penn Bank, please hang up and call us back at our Call Center (1-866-642-7736). Our Call Center representatives will help you determine if the call is legitimate.
• If you receive a call from anyone asking for information about your debit card, mobile banking, checking accounts, or online banking credentials, hang up immediately as we would never call and ask for this information.
• Never provide to anyone your Personal Identification Number (PIN) or your user name and password used to access online banking or mobile banking. There is NEVER a legitimate reason to provide this information, no matter how insistent a caller may be. In fact, the more insistent the caller, the more confident you can be they are a scammer.
If you have questions about a potential scam or think you might be a victim, contact our Call Center at 1-866-642-7736. Call Center professionals are available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 midnight and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon.
The material on this site was created for educational purposes. It is not intended to be and should not be treated as legal, tax, investment, accounting, or other professional advice.
Securities and Insurance Products:
NOT A DEPOSIT | NOT FDIC INSURED | NOT BANK GUARANTEED | NOT INSURED BY ANY FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY | MAY LOSE VALUE